Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Sam Thinks He Can . . .Photograph Children


I've spent two mornings this past week at my synagogue photographing the students at Shalom Yeladim (Hebrew for "Hello, Children"), the synagogue's pre-school.
I accepted the director's offer to serve as the school photographer with some trepidation as I had never handled so many portraits for so many different subjects at one "event" before. I've been the event photographer for horse shows with 150 or so competitors. But no one examined the 2,000 images captured at those events to see if the horse was smiling.
Also, parents are fairly picky about their kids' portraits and a lot of the parents are friends or acquaintances. I certainly didn't want to jeopardize any relationships.

What a delightful experience it turned out to be! It was a goose bump experience. I get them whenever I capture an image I'm proud of and know will be appreciated. Being from Minnesota, the subjects were all above-average looking. They were excited– Picture Day is a big event. Not all wanted to smile at first or, in some cases, ever. But when we got to talking about favorite pets, favorite foods and mommy and daddy, their personalities came through.
I worked up a sweat and my knees and back got a workout. When you're photographing 3 year olds, you're near the ground a lot. It would have been an easier gig 30 years ago. On the other hand, I left the photo shoots feeling 30 years younger.

Some of my favorites appear on this blog. Feel free to comment.

No comments: